Posts

Showing posts from July, 2016

It's a Wrap!

Image
Pattern Review: New Look 6301
I am back with yet another wrap dress. This is my second iteration of New Look 6301. I can't get enough of wrap dresses. They are so comfortable and easy to wear. This will be number 4 on my blog! Here are the links to dress 1, dress 2 and dress 3

I don't have too much to add that I didn't blog about in my last wrap dress post. One thing that I did notice is that as this fabric has much more stretch I did find that the bodice is a tad larger than last time. However it is not noticeable with the busy print and still fits well. 

I knew that I would definitely be rotating this in the work wardrobe so I only removed 3 inches off the skirt hemline this time. This will be a transitional dress so I am looking forward to pairing this with tights and a black cardigan in the Autumn months. 

This fabric was purchased from Karstadt in Rosenheim outside of Munich in Germany. I was visiting a friend over New Year and popped in to check out their fabric. …

Making a Maxi

Image
Pattern Review: McCall's 6744
The Summer sewing continues, this time with the maxi dress version of McCall's 6744. I did attempt to make this version of the pattern before here but I ended up having to cut the skirt down. I have been wanting to have another go and finally got around to it as part of my sewing group's Summer Sew-a-Long. 

This time I managed to cut everything out correctly as I had plenty of fabric. This fabric is an ITY knit from Saeed's Fabrics in Walthamstow. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but I think it was around £4-£6 per metre. It washed and sewed perfectly. In fact I rarely have any problems handling ITY knits. 

I made very minor alterations to this. I remembered that the bodice had a large amount of ease last time so I cut a small and graded out to a medium on the hips. I graded in 1" in length on the bottom of the bust which I count as my lazy FBA. Lastly I added a couple of inches on the bottom so I could wear this with hee…

Liberty Eye Mask

Image
Pattern Review: Flo-Jo Boutique Eye Mask Making Kit
Despite having lots of dresses cut out and on my sewing table I didn't have much in the way of hand-stitching to take along to this month's sewing group meetup. This inspired me to sew up the Flo-Jo Boutique eye mask making kit and did this in two leisurely hours whilst chatting and drinking tea!
The kit comes with everything you need except scissors. This includes fabric, pattern, instructions, pins, needle and thread. The instructions are very easy to follow and everything is sewn by hand, no need at all for a sewing machine. My only (and extremely trivial) dislike was that I felt the needle provided was too large for the types of fabric being used. Anyone with any sewing supplies will be able to substitute this, but I did feel that the needle was really quite thick. 


I am delighted with how this turned out. I use eye masks all the time at home, and especially when I travel so I know it will get used. This kit was a Christ…

Using up a long cherished fabric

Image
Pattern Review - New Look 6459 
I am back with another project. This one is pretty belated as I made this dress for a sew-a-long with my sewing group back in April. The theme was to use a fabric that had been in your stash for way too long. 

I picked this cotton that has been in my stash for around 5 years. I purchased this on holiday in France from Toto Fabrics in Poitiers at the price of 5 euros per metre and I lined this dress with lining from Simply Fabrics priced at £1 per metre. 


I decided on a simple dress - New Look 6459 (now out of print). I made this over ten years ago and knew that I would have to tweak the fit. I cut a size 14 and added 1" to the top of the bust for modesty and added 1 cm to the bottom of the bust. I have to say I don't love the fit. It is a bit snug across the bust and I still think that it could do with a tad more length. The hips are a bit tight too so I would grade out to a size 16 on the hips next time. 

This dress is being classed as a wadd…