Simple Tank #2

Pattern Review: Kwik Sew 3844 

Another pattern that I had already reviewed, but there are two things about this top that excite me...
1. This fabric was £1 from the bargain bin at Simply Fabrics
2. That my finishing techniques/making the effort to to do them has really improved.

For those of you that are not familiar with this pattern this is Kwik Sew 3844, reviewed not long ago here


In terms of fit, I did nothing except sew this straight out of the envelope, cutting a size medium. As I am using a soft lightweight jersey, the drape is a tad more feminine so I didn't even pinch in the edges. I spotted this fabric in the bargain bin on a Simply Fabrics haul before the summer. I really appreciate a fabric where the pattern is on the bias. It's such a win for me. Although it's not hard to refold your fabric on a 45 degree angle, it really swallows up fabric and spits it back out in unusable pieces which makes me sad. 



As mentioned above, I am really pleased that I went the extra mile with the finishing on this top. This was one of my 2013 sewing resolutions which makes it even more satisfying. I french seamed it and used the facings this time. I know it doesn't sound life changing, but as I am such a lazy sewer, this is a really big step for me. As I can feel that the care I am taking to finish my garments is becoming a happy habit, rather than a chore. 

Previously, I made this pattern with fabric that had a small amount of stretch and was much thicker so I didn't bother with any facings, especially as they are designed with a stretch fabric in mind. This meant they didn't stretch to fit sufficiently.


These little extra steps allow me to take so much more pride in the garments that I am making, which is a lovely feeling. 


Finishing off this simple tank and the wearable muslin in my last post has really got my sewing mojo back. I am hoping to make my dress for my uncle's wedding at the beginning of October and I have signed up for a jacket sew-a-long with my sewing group. It's nice to have some more exciting and slightly more challenging projects to get my teeth into. 

What projects is everyone working on as we move into Autumn?

P.s. you can find my review on Pattern Review here

Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. Great little top, and good on you for putting in the extra time on the finishing! Something I need to put more effort into...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely! I am in awe at your finishing techniques. I don't know why I find facings such a difficult thing, so far I haven't been able to make them lie flat in the finished garment. I must be doing something wrong. Very impressed with the French seams too, haven't tackled those ones yet either - and it's cut on the bias? I must try that.
    Here's to happy habits!
    PS: I am hoping to make an asymetric 'mandarin' top or blouse soon. Fingers crossed. It have to go the muslin first route on this though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top