February Garment of the Month

Pattern Review: Vogue 1387


I have to admit that my sewing mojo has been so low I wasn't sure February's garment was going to happen. Quite a few fellow sewers have mentioned that they have not been as productive as hoped during February, so maybe there has been something in the air? That said, I pulled it out of the bag to finish my muslin for this Vogue 1387 Rebecca Taylor pattern.


I initially fell in love with the pleats in the shoulders and the sleeve bands. Aren't they fab little details?? However there have been mixed reviews on Pattern Review, so although the line drawings looked simple enough I knew that it would be wise to make a muslin. I cut a straight size 14 and I think the fit is not bad at all. As you can see in the photo below there is a bit of excess in the sleeve, something that can be easily remedied for next time. 


I did make two alterations. I lengthened the skirt by 2", without this it would have been ridiculously short on me and I don't think that the side seams would come past the belt on my jeans! I am going to add on another inch for next time and decrease the curvature of the sides so that the side seams finish a bit lower. Lastly I took an additional inch off the the size of the sleeve insert as I felt that they were in my armpits too much. I prefer those bad boys to be nice and breezy. 


One of the criticisms of this pattern on Pattern Review is the instructions. I have to admit I found them straightforward and I had no problems at all applying them and sewing up this view. My only change was to sew the sleeve in flat and then add the inserts. Personally, I would consider this an "easy pattern", especially as it is a designer vogue, but I know that this hasn't been the experience of everyone. 


It's interesting that I rarely sew with purple. I definitely tend to opt for navy, so this is a refreshing change. I have no idea what the fabric is - probably something man-made with no natural fibres. I have to admit it falls really well and pressed fine. It has a teeny bit of stretch and does fray pretty badly, but as it's a muslin it's no biggie. Not to mention it did only cost me £1 per metre from Nags Head Market in Holloway. The fabric was prefect muslin material for styles that are more drapey (is that even a word??)

Overall I am really pleased with this because I managed to break my sewing block and tackle the stash of designer patterns I have. Granted it's not the most complex, but it has given me confidence to go ahead and make some more designer muslins!

You can see my Pattern Review here.

Anyone else misplaced their sewing mojo? Do you have any TNT techniques for getting it back? 

Happy Sewing!



Comments

  1. It's purple!! I love it :) Well done on getting the sewing mojo back! And indeed I think there is something in the air...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something to purple that really grows on you... Not that I need to tell you that. Wahey: purple!

      Delete
  2. I love the purple on you! This is a very good wearable muslin. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree purple looks good on you and more interesting than navy. Like you and many others I haven't done much sewing during the winter months perfering to knit. With the lighter nights I'm hoping to get motivated and I'm going to start with a few easy skirt and top patterns using knit fabrics. I think a few quick wins should get me back on track

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe next time I am fabric shopping I will check out more purple fabrics.

      Delete
  4. I'm a great one for breaking a sewing block - and I agree, February has had something in the air that affects the mojo. I love this top - it's great to see it made up - especially as I have the pattern somewhere.

    You can totally wear purple - it looks great on you, and works well with navy and black, and is still a classic, dressy, colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am sure that there is something in the air.

      Delete
  5. Great to see your mojo is coming back. This is great top, and the construction is a sneaky one indeed. I made it just this past Thursday. You must be very tall. I didn't have to lengthen the flounce, but the bodice is short for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since wearing this top it has really grown on me, definitely one to make again. I'm around 5,7" / 5,8", so taller than average but super tall.

      Delete
  6. Looks great on you, what a fab colour!
    You are right those designer details of the gathers and the shoulder treatment is really interesting. Such lovely details.
    I'm with you on less curving side seams and the inch longer is bound to be a great change. I'm looking forward to seeing your next version of this. Do you have a fabric in mind?

    I am so hoping that I broke my sewing block too! At least I did my 'one garment a quarter' thing now! (What a relief)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Second thoughts: I think a T&T pattern is the only way to go to break a sewing mojo block. Breaking through it with grim determination and whip up another version of something you know will fit and suit you.
    I have a feeling that nothing else works, it's got to be a successful project that can lift you out of the funk. (Or so I hope!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top