Pattern Review: Simplicity 3956
I am still trying to build in some tops that I can wear on a night out (see here) and decided to try Simplicity 3956. This is another item that I finished back before my trip to Canada and have only just gotten around to photographing it.
I have made this before years and years ago, but didn't return to the pattern as the fit needed some tweaking. However, I had been thinking that a TNT strap top was missing from my pattern stash so I decided to give this one another go. I cut view D but without the overskirt. I omitted the tie belt as I felt it was unnecessary and was treating this as a wearable muslin.
Previously when I made this, the bodice was too big and ended up gaping under the arms. To remedy this I cut a size 14 for most areas, but used a size 12 for the bodice back. I added 1" to the height of the front bodice for extra boob coverage.
I used a printed floral chiffon from purchased from the fabric stall on Market Row in Brixton Market. It was a great buy at £1.65 per metre and I knew it would be perfect for a muslin. I underlined it with a stretch lining purchased from Simply Fabrics for £1 per metre. I also used this for the bodice lining.
I am really pleased with the alterations on this top and I am sure that I will make this again. I have worn this out on nights out twice already, so I am already delighted to have this top in my wardrobe. I found it really hard to motivate myself to re-try and re-tweak this pattern, but it was definitely worth it in the end.
I am currently working on a tweaked version of Simplicity 1460. I think that my No New Pattern Pledge for 2015 has made me re-visit patterns in my stash, which is good :-)
You can see my Pattern Review here.