Polka Dot Mimi G Shirtdress

Pattern Review: Simplicity 8221

I snapped up quite a few Mimi G patterns back last year during a Simplicity sale and Simplicity 8221 has been in my stash waiting for the right fabric. 

The fabric used was a stretch linen look denim picked up from John Lewis during the sale for £7 per metre. It cut and sewed so beautifully, that I it did make me remember how easy it is to work with wovens sometimes. Especially after my last chiffon dress here!


I cut a size 16, and I think that it fits pretty well out of the envelope. You can see in the photo below that for next time it would be worth doing a swayback adjustment to get rid of the pooling. The line drawings of the pattern show that there there are fish eye darts in the back. However, there isn't a huge amount of shaping, which I think is why a tie belt has been included. 


To tell you the truth, I fell out of love whilst making this dress as I thought that I had made it too small on the hips. I had the right bit of ease at the waist, but I was kicking myself for not grading up to an 18 on the hips. In the end I just decided to plough on and give the finished dress to the charity shop. However, when I tried this on once the side seams were sewed up it fit perfectly! I was saved by the stretch denim!

In addition to the sizing, for some reason I found sewing the placket for the buttons really hard. I think that it is due to the bulk of the fabirc (despite it not actually being that thick for a denim). I also found that the double collar, which is a cool design feature, added bulk too. 


Although I love a shirtdress, this silhouette feels more body con than I am used too. At first I felt really self conscious when wearing it, but I think that I just need to be brave as everyone that has seen it has commented on how slimming it is. I am pleased that I pursued with this one as it is fun shirtdress for my wardrobe! I like it when something that you think is a failure surprises you. 

You can see my Pattern Review here

I feel like I have initially been really excited by a few of the patterns that I have cut out, only to fall out of love with them whilst sewing them up. I hope that this changes in September!  

Comments

  1. The fit is beautiful! I am glad you tried it on one more time before you made a final decision about donation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it fits beautifully! I love the dots and it really looks fantastic!! Because it's denim and darker it can easily transition to fall/winter with tights and a cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think it looks terrific. I love the dots. It's a great length.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top