Pattern Review: New Look 6123 & McCalls 3341
I have been wanting a simple v neck dress with an a-line skirt. I looked at purchasing a pattern, but relaised that I pretty much had all of the elements that I wanted in my existing pattern stash. I decided on combining the bodice New Look 6123 and skirt pattern McCalls 3341.
I was lucky as everything lined up really well in terms of the darts. I didn't have to move anything which was a huge bonus! The only thing I changed was to make the bodice a V-neck as I am not a huge fan of a round neck.
The main issue I had with this dress was the fabric. Working with chiffon is not the easiest and this was a polyester chiffon that frayed like anything. I finished all of the seams on my overlocker. This pretty butterfly fabric was super cheap fabric and picked up from one of the fabric shops along Goldhawk Road. If I remember correctly is was only £3 per metre. I lined the bodice with some stretch blue lining from my stash.
I took my time sewing this dress and I was really pleased with the final fit. However, when trimming some seams I accidentally snipped through the back bodice. I patched it up with some wonderweb, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be holding up. My general feeling is that the fabric is just too fragile to hold up in the long term. I feel a bit sad about it, as I really like the dress, but some things are just not destined to last.
Sewing this dress gave me so much more confidence sewing with chiffon and I love the fit of this dress. I am planning on using this pattern combination for an Autumn version made from linen. I am also happy that this is another fabric used that has been in my stash for years. This garment is another one from the #makeyourstash legacy!
You can see my pattern review here
There are a few items cut out on my sewing table that are also from the #makeyourstash legacy. It makes me feel better that I may have purchased some fabric whilst in John Lewis during the summer sales...