Showing posts from June, 2014

Paisley Shift Dress

Pattern Review: New Look 6049
As some of you may know I really struggle to find a nice shift dress that fits in RTW and handmade items. I did play about with Simplicity 2146 which ended up being more of a sheath dress.

A lady from my sewing group gifted me New Look 6049 and so I decided to give the shift dress another go.

Upon doing a muslin for this dress I discovered that the neckline was too wide and did a 1.5cm narrow shoulder adjustment. You can see above that it is still a bit too big, so if I make this again I will take more out of the shoulders. I deepened the neckline by 5cm as I didn't like how high it was. I cut a 14 on the top and graded out to a generous 16 on the hips. I added in the optional waist darts for added shaping and I took in approximately 3.5cm on each side underneath the bust. 

The fabric is a silky feeling paisley fabric that I picked up in Malaysia at Jakels. I am not sure what the content is, but I am tempted to say that there is some viscose in there…

Scrap-Busting - Part 2

Pattern Review: McCall's 3341 Firstly, some breaking news which is that I am currently featured on Pattern Review as their Member in Focus. You can check out my interview here.

As promised, here is my second stash busting mini. For this skirt I used McCall's 3341 and went with View E. I have made this before in my pre-blogging days, also to use up a remnant of leftover fabric. This is a simple a-line skirt with darts in the front and back and is a pattern that I stole from my Mum's stash years ago. I cut a size 16 and sewed this straight out of the envelope. The only (lazy) change I made was to omit the waist band.

I am trying to demonstrate with my above pose how the skirt is designed to sit just above your natural waist. I always find this quite strange in patterns, as so few RTW clothes have this feature. I'm sure that I have seen a tutorial somewhere (maybe Threads?) on how to lower the waistline of a pattern, but as I was doing some stash-busting/instant gratifica…

Scrap-Busting - Part 1

As you may have read previously, my sewing group held a 1 metre stash busting sew-a-long. I made Simplicity 1884 for the challenge. The sew-a-long inspired me to have another look at the remnants in my stash to see if I could use them for some quick instant gratification projects. 
I had (just) enough fabric to create a mini skirt using Mimi G's pencil skirt tutorial. I have made this previously here and it's a definite go-to garment in my wardrobe. 

For this simple skirt I used the remnants from Vogue 8827. This is a ponte knit purchased from good old Simply Fabrics in Brixton, priced at £3 per metre. 

As you can see in the photo above the skirt has two side seams, rather than one seam at the back. This is because I didn't have enough fabric to cut this on the fold. The skirt ended up being shorter than I initially planned as I the fabric is a one-way stretch which meant that I was further restricted by the amount of usable fabric. 

As you can see I am feeling very jammy…

Me-Made-May'14 Round-up

I really enjoyed Me Made May. I achieved my goal of wearing 4 items per week (except for week 1 because it was so short). Here is a summary of my handmade items worn during the month.

I have provided links back to the original blog post, and have listed them clockwise.

Week 1

Kwik Sew 3844,McCalls 6488Simplicity 1810,
Week 2

McCalls 6209, Vogue 8711Vogue 1247, Simplicity 1884.
Week 3

Vogue 8711,Kwik Sew 3844,Vogue 8645,New Look 6123, 
Week 4

Mimi G 30 Min Pencil Skirt (not yet blogged), Simplicity 1884,Butterick 5744, Self-drafted dress (pre-blogging days)
Week 5

Vogue 8827, Butterick 4443, Vogue 1189, Mimi G 30 Min Pencil Skirt
I didn't find the challenge hard at all. I did have to think a little about what I would wear each week so that I fulfilled my aim of 4 handmade items, but I had plenty of handmade garments in my wardrobe to choose from which came as a surprise. I hadn't really assessed how many items in my wardrobe are handmade, so it felt nice that it was more than…

June Garment of the Month - Vogue 8827

I am pleased to say that I have a finished Vogue 8827. After reading the reviews for this pattern I have to say that I was feeling a bit apprehensive about tackling this dress. I also had a bad luck with the dress previously when I cut out the facings on wrong side and had to abandon it in favour of Vogue 8645
As a year or so had passed, this was enough time for me to mourn the dress and have another go. I have to say I am pretty pleased with how it turned out in the end and I like to think that the red fabric is both bright and femine!

Although this pattern is rated easy, I had heard some comments about the collar instructions and the fastenings. And we all know that Easy Vogue patterns sometimes have a reputation for being anything but easy. That said, I took my time putting this together, ensuring that I understood all of the instructions and I had no problems at all. I cut a 14 and sewed it straight out of the envelope with minor alterations - due to styling preference rather t…