Posts

Showing posts from 2017

A Cross Stitched Mai

Image
Pattern Review - Dimensions Gold Petite Counted Cross Stitch: Mai Believe it or not I have a back log of cross stitch projects to post! I finished this back in mid-December just before the Christmas holidays. I worked on this on and off on this project for just over a year. 
It was a project that I often took on work trips and to my craft group meetups. Although this is from the Dimensions Petite range (the finished project measures 5x7"), the project was fairly complex. There is a large amount back-stitching to give definition to all of the details, especially the kimono. Lazy daisies and satin stitches are also featured in the design. 


The kit comes with 18 count ivory aida, needles and plenty of thread already on a thread organiser. I didn't run out of any colours which is always a plus for cross stitch kits. That said you can always purchase the readily available  (for the UK anyway) DMC threads should you need any more. I would recommend this as a great portable project…

Textured Trousers

Image
Pattern Review: Simplicity 1167
Take a moment everyone...I made some trousers! 
To prolong my enjoyment of Mimi G patterns that I bought on sale last year, I decided to try View B of Simplicity 1167. The only time I have made 'proper' trousers (not my pajama pants here) I completed a muslin and decided they weren't for me. However, we currently have a Random Project sew-a-long with my sewing group, where you complete a random pattern from your stash purely to see how it will turn out, with no pre-planning. 

I loved the pattern envelope and combined with the excellent reviews on Pattern Review I decided to take a chance. The fabric is a stretch fabric, a bit thinner than a ponte knit with a textured flower print. It was around £7 per yard and purchased from The Textile Centre in Walthamstow. I love the textured print as it makes a simple pair of black trousers extra special. The fabric was really easy to work with and is very comfortable. 

I have to say I am very pleased w…

Wardrobe Basics

Image
Pattern Review: Simplicity 1370 & 1167
I have an absence of wardrobe classics at the moment, particularly black tops. I picked up Mimi G's Simplicity 1167 pattern on sale last year and decided to try out the high-low tank top. The high low feature makes it a bit different to a normal tank top and is very on trend. The fabric is a stretch jersey crepe. I am pretty sure that I picked this up at a London market although I can't remember which one! 

I found that I really liked the shape of the tank of top. It has a good amount of shaping throughout the waist which works for me. I found that the armbands and neckbands are too small for the top. I used stated amount of seam allowances but you can see from the creases that there is too much fabric in there. That said it would be easy enough to fix for next time. 

You can see below that I will need to do a swayback adjustment. Although there are lots of issues with this top I do like it. It was a very quick make, the overall shap…

Rosenheim Shirtdress

Image
Pattern Review: Simplicity 8084 Shirtdresses have been all the rage this past year and I have taken the plunge and jumped on the bandwagon. When Simplicity Patterns were on sale this summer I snapped up Mimi G's Shirtdress pattern

I cut a size 14 for this dress. I added an inch to the length, but other than that I made no fit alternations. However I really struggled for the placket to lie correctly. Every time I stitched it, it ended up twisted and didn't sit right. In the end I recut the placket. The same thing happened, but not as badly. I wondered if it has something to do with the grain of the fabric? I also had to re-cut the collar to be larger as I found it ended up being too small. 

I am glad that I persevered as I love the style of this dress. With the blouson effect and waist tie, you don't have to worry about the fit and you still get good waist definition. As this dress is unlined I french seamed the sides and used bias binding  to on the yoke seam for a clea…

I'm Back!

Image
Pattern Review: Butterick 5744
The last half of 2016 saw me out of action due a bad shoulder and neck problems. After spending a small fortune on osteopath appointments and improving my posture I am now able to sew for short bursts. I decided that my next project should be something with minimal hand sewing and Butterick 5744 fit the bill perfectly. 

I made this ages ago here in a ponte knit fabric and have been curious to see how it would work in a woven. The fabric is some poly rayon blend that I picked up at a London market some time ago. I knew that for a woven version my fabric would have to have a good drape. I lined this with some stretch lining that I picked up somewhere in Walthamstow for £1 per metre. 

I made minimal adjustments this time. I graded in an inch to the top and bottom of the front bodice pieces and that was it. I cut a size 14 and took off and inch from the bodice sides. I remember from the last time that the bodice comes with a large amount of ease. I tacked t…