Showing posts from May, 2016

Blouse Sewing

Pattern Review: New Look 6303
I have a lovely RTW blouse similar to this in my wardrobe, so when I saw New Look 6303 on sale I had to buy it. 

When I had a look at the pattern pieces I instantly knew that it would be wise to do a toile or wearable muslin. I picked up this chiffon in Dalston Market for either £2 or £3 per metre. It was a bargain and I was initially going to give it to my mum for Christmas. However when I purchased this pattern I felt that the fabric would really suit this top (sorry mum!). I underlined the chiffon with some black stretch fabric from Simply Fabrics for £1 per metre. 

So let's talk about the fit. I cut a size 12 and added 1" to the front and back length. I still find this top a bit short on me and will add at least another 1" when I make it again. My RTW top is also shorter than I would like so it's not too surprising. For the record I am almost 5 ft 8" so taller than the average UK woman. I french seamed everything for a neater f…

Little Black Dress

Pattern Review: Simplicity 1609
Last Autumn my mum and I ventured to the Knitting and Stitching show at Alexandra Palace for the first time. I didn't come away with any fabric but I did leave with a free pattern - Simplicity 1609

As black is difficult to photograph and capture pattern details I have included a copy of the line drawings (courtesy of I was initially very cautious about sewing this type of pattern as A-line shift dresses can end up looking tent like on me. However as this was a free pattern I decided I had nothing to lose and gave it a go. 

I sewed this up in a size 14 and treated it as a wearable muslin. The pattern is unlined and I didn't bother with the facings for two reasons. Firstly I altered the neckline; I cut this as a V shaped neckline as I felt that the original design was too high on me. Secondly I was too lazy to cut a new facing pattern piece for a wearable muslin. Instead I finished the neckline and armholes with bias…

First Summer Dress of the Season

Pattern Review: New Look 6263
I don't seem to be doing very well on the blogging front as here is a dress that I finished at the beginning of April. This is a wearable muslin for New Look 6263.
This pattern came into my life during a fabric/pattern swap with my sewing group. To be honest it isn't one that I would usually choose, but one of my good friends made it and it looked great and I also knew that it would be a nice dress to show off the drape and print of a fabric.

I cut a size 14 straight out of the envelope. For some reason I found sewing the collar a bit fiddly although there is nothing in the construction details that make it challenging. This dress is very tent like in shape so I only ever wear it belted. Therefore, if I were to make this again I would almost certainly make a swayback adjustment (you can see the excess fabric in the back). As this was a wearable muslin I didn't line it, but I did french seam the insides for a neater finish.

The fabric is  a po…