January Garment of the Month

Pattern Review: New Look 6123


I am pleased to say that I have finally finished New Look 6123 after this when on hold in 2013 due to sewing machine issues. This dress came together really easily and am delighted with the result. The fabric is a wine coloured ponte knit that I picked up from Ridley Road Market in Dalston, priced at £6 per metre. The fabric was a delight to work with as it is sturdier and thicker than jersey. 


I had to take in a fair amount in at the back towards the neckline, but other than that I pretty much sewed this out of the envelope. I am sure that this is because I was working with a stretch fabric. I cut a size smaller than usual and relied on the negative ease to do the rest of the work. 


To be honest, if I cut this out in a woven I have no doubt that I would be plagued by fit problems, such as grading in at the waist, out at the hips and dealing with the wrap bodice. I am pleased to say that although the V neck is a quite low cut, I get no gaping which is great. 



I am pleasantly surprised by this pattern. Although I have seen some lovely versions of this by other sewers here and here, I wasn't convinced that such a tight fitting dress would suit my figure. However I am now a convert, I feel that although this dress is pretty tight fitting, it still enhances my curves. Perhaps 2014 will be the year that I embrace the sheath dress???


Can you tell I'm still jet lagged in these photos? I spy a lazy eye!


To conclude I am really excited to have this item in my wardrobe and would definitely be happy to make this again. I think that this version in a black ponte knit would be a great wardrobe staple. 
You can view my review on PR here.

I have already started thinking about my February garment. This will be Simplicity 2146
Seeing as I have a new found confidence in a sheath I thought I would stash bust my patterns and see what this bad boy has in store for me. If it turns out terribly, I may have already cut out another Vogue 8711 to save the day/my confidence. There's nothing like a good old wadder to shatter that New Year sewing mojo. 

How are you guys going with your 2014 sewing goals? Are you trying anything new? 

Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. This dress looks great on you Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job it looks great on you! Love that color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, very pretty colour and looks wonderful on you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a beautiful job on this and the fit is super!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Natasha, I love the color and your dress turned out beautifully :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo - what a dress! You look sensational. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top