I'm Back!

Pattern Review: Butterick 5744


The last half of 2016 saw me out of action due a bad shoulder and neck problems. After spending a small fortune on osteopath appointments and improving my posture I am now able to sew for short bursts. I decided that my next project should be something with minimal hand sewing and Butterick 5744 fit the bill perfectly. 


I made this ages ago here in a ponte knit fabric and have been curious to see how it would work in a woven. The fabric is some poly rayon blend that I picked up at a London market some time ago. I knew that for a woven version my fabric would have to have a good drape. I lined this with some stretch lining that I picked up somewhere in Walthamstow for £1 per metre. 


I made minimal adjustments this time. I graded in an inch to the top and bottom of the front bodice pieces and that was it. I cut a size 14 and took off and inch from the bodice sides. I remember from the last time that the bodice comes with a large amount of ease. I tacked the bodice pieces together at the centre front for some added modesty. 


I am so happy with this dress. Not because the sewing is anything special, it is just nice to be able to sew again. I have a couple of other simple projects lined up. The main culprit with my neck and shoulders is hunched over hand sewing, so the more I can avoid that the better. 


This is simple dress that can be dressed up and down - I wore this out last night for a friends birthday drinks and it will be perfect in the warmer months when I can wear it with sandals too. The tacked bodice also means that this is work appropriate and to be honest I had forgotten how nice it is to have a new item in my wardrobe!

You can see my Pattern Review here

How are your sewing plans for 2017 going? And what tips do you have to ensure good sewing posture? 

Happy Sewing. 

Comments

  1. Welcome back! Happy New Year! Your dress looks wonderful! I am glad you are getting to sew again, and hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you are sewing again. Another stylish dress that you can dress up or wear casually. It is hard to think of posture when you are in the grip of sewing fever, I'm often hunched over the stitching and quite tense as well when i am aiming to get something done as best I can manage. You don't realise until you stop just how badly you have been sitting. I think I will have to put a note on my machine "Sit up Straight!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is adorable! Welcome back. Hope you continue to feel better. I understand what you have been going through having hurt my back some years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Love the shape and the fabric.

    The shape of the V neck is perfect on you, really lovely. If I had a go-to staple like this pattern I would be tempted to make it in dozens of fabrics! (I should try it)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top