Textured Trousers

Pattern Review: Simplicity 1167


Take a moment everyone...I made some trousers! 

To prolong my enjoyment of Mimi G patterns that I bought on sale last year, I decided to try View B of Simplicity 1167. The only time I have made 'proper' trousers (not my pajama pants here) I completed a muslin and decided they weren't for me. However, we currently have a Random Project sew-a-long with my sewing group, where you complete a random pattern from your stash purely to see how it will turn out, with no pre-planning. 


I loved the pattern envelope and combined with the excellent reviews on Pattern Review I decided to take a chance. The fabric is a stretch fabric, a bit thinner than a ponte knit with a textured flower print. It was around £7 per yard and purchased from The Textile Centre in Walthamstow. I love the textured print as it makes a simple pair of black trousers extra special. The fabric was really easy to work with and is very comfortable. 


I have to say I am very pleased with the fit. I cut a size 16. The only alteration I made was to take in around 1.5" at the waist and I had to peg the legs considerable to get the slim fit in the pattern envelope photo. I graded out to 2" on fabric to be removed by the time I got to the ankle. The fabric has enough give that I could probably peg them a bit more from the knee down, but decided against it so I have additional ease for sitting. The only alteration I would keep in mind for next time would be to add a touch of seat depth to account for my ample butt. 


The YouTube tutorial by Mimi G is excellent. She gives some great tips (such as using an extra long zipper for the fly) and walks you through step by step which is great for beginners or the less advanced sewer. Mimi G demonstrates a version with a mock fly. I did a full fly zipper and the instructions in the pattern were great - especially as this is my first time doing a fly. I found the video and the instructions useful to use together as I don't have an overlocker, so I found the pattern instructions gave clearer recommendations on how to finish seams and edges. 


I am so pleased with these trousers. I am already keeping my eye out for some other fun prints that I could use for them. Before I turned up the cuff I thought they looked great full length, so I would also consider sewing some longer trousers for the winter. I love how these looked dressed up and down - I wore these to the cinema later this day with trainers and a long cardi for a more casual look.

You can see my Pattern Review here.

Anyone else gone out of their comfort zone lately? 

Comments

  1. They look great on you. Definitely a pattern you should make again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great for your first try! Fly front wise there is a great Sandra Betzina video on the Threads website if your ever stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out quite nice and look great on you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top