Gardens by the Bay
Pattern Review: New Look 6123
At the end of January I had a work trip to Singapore. I was very pleased that I was very restrained and only bought one piece of fabric from Chinatown priced at $8SD per yard. It is a printed polycotton/viscose and I knew that I wanted it to be a feminine dress.
After a lot of deliberation I went with New Look 6123. I have actually made this twice before here and here both in a ponte knit. I love the gathered bodice on this pattern but knew that the skirt wouldn't suit me in a woven, so I added my self-drafted dress skirt which I have used here and here!
This pattern is designed to be unlined. I knew that I wanted to line this bodice so I followed this helpful tutorial and it worked out ok after a little bit of head scratching. I lined the fabric with some blue stretch lining from either Walthamstow or Brixton (standard suppliers for stretch lining for me!)
I cut a generous size 14 and the fit on the front bodice was pretty good. I added around 3/4" tot he top of the front bodice pieces for modesty (I am planing on wearing this to work). I did have to take out an insane amount of ease in the centre back. I took out 3" at the top which is a lot more than before. I am really pleased with how this turned out. This is a frankenpattern that I have wanted to tackle for ages and will definitely make this again.
You really can't see the ruching on the bodice with the busy print, but I think that it works really well with the drape of the fabric. I felt that the print was busy enough that I didn't have to pattern match. Which is perfect as I didn't have enough fabric anyway! Another plus is that this fits into my all seasons sewing. This dress that will be perfect with flats and sandals and then tights and boots in the cooler months. I have been really working on ensuring that I have enough winter clothes. I really noticed this gap in my wardrobe last year.
Next I am planning on treating myself to one or two simple summer dresses to do some stash busting. As this picture above shows - they will have to windproof! Luckily my latest make fits the bill!
You can see my Pattern Review here.