Hawaiian Summer

Pattern Review: 8870

Behold Vogue 8870 which has made it into the TNT camp! This is now the third time that I have made this pattern and each time it has looked pretty different. That said, the first two iterations here and here are both summer dresses. For the third outing I decided to make a summer top!


This was a pretty easy alteration. I cut a medium and added 10" to the front and back bodice pieces to make a top. I graded out to account for the good old hips. On making this I realised that I could have gone down a size to account to the stretch in the fabric. 


I also omitted the back bodice elastic as it seemed unnecessary. As there was no elastic casing in the back I drafted a back facing and finished all of the seams and hems on my overlocker for a clean finish. I ended up taking in an inch on the sides so I will definitely cut a small when I make this next. 


I am so pleased with this top! It is all the small things that make this winner. For example that I love that the armholes are the perfect fit for me and not too high. I also love the detail of a double strap. It is so simple but a bit different. Lastly the v-neck is just right. It shows off a little bit of chest but not too much. 


The fabric is also so fun! I picked up this t-shirting fabric from Fabric Land whilst simultaneously visiting my family and stealing fabric from my mum. I did actually pay for this fabric and snapped up one metre priced at £4.44. It washed and sewed really up well and of course is very comfortable. 


This was a super simple and quick pattern hack that took no time to sew up at all. I am currently working on a toile for this top in a woven and I suspect that I will need a swayback adjustment. That said expect to find further versions of this top on the blog soon! It is great to throw on over jeans and could be perfect for a night out in more formal fabric. 

My Pattern Review can be found here. 

Anyone else been doing some pattern hacking for summer? 

Happy Sewing! 

Comments

  1. What a cute little top! It fits you quite nicely. I agree...I do love that neckline on you. The fabric is so pretty. Love this top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pattern hacking for me, but I do love yours! The fabric shines with this design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous that you have a TNT pattern! That said I started a sleeveless tunic with a slanted hem on Sunday and it is going well. I had tried another summer top where the back turned out too blouson-y so I was thinking of combining its front with a more fitted back that I'd have to take from another pattern, - which would be pattern hacking. Unfortunately I realised that I don't care much for the front of the top either! Oops...
    And then there is another v-neck summer top where I got the gathers wrong, I'll need a second wind for that one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I've already said that I really love this top on you. It is such a great pattern for a summer top and the fit is fantastic on you. An all-round successful sewing project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top