Pattern Review - Vogue 8667
Yay! I finally finished this. Vogue 8667 has been my February project and seemed to take forever, though this may be due to lack of sewing time, and also working on multiple projects (this is a 2013 sewing goal).
I used a teal suiting that I picked up from Fabricland for £2 a metre. They have this fabric in many different colours and it is such a bargain. When I am next in Bristol I am definitely going to pick up some more. This fabric was a delight to sew, although it did fray a tad when working with it so I zig-zagged the seams.
The changes that I made was to cut grade out the front side bodice to 2" and increased the length of the front bodice 2". I wanted the skirt to hit me above the knee so I cut the skirt pieces the same length as the lining pieces. I cut a size 14 and graded out to a size 16 on the hips. I think that if I was to make this again I wouldn't the bodice pieces as a size 12.
I had tried making a smart work dress a couple of years ago and it was a massive wadder. Everything about it was terrible. Most because it was a straight suit dress that just didn't take into account my shape. I am happy to say that I have learnt so much more about my body shape since then.
I love the collar on this dress, I think that it is such a lovely detail, and the way that the skirt sections skims my hips is pretty flattering. I know that alot of people mentioned that there is alot of hand sewing in this pattern, but to be honest I didn't find it too bad. I meant that I could practise my slip-stitch (my hand sewing is not the best), and have something to take to my sewing group. I think that it looks really neat and professionally made on the inside.
You can see my review on Pattern Review here.
I have a couple of other items on the go, as I am trying out having multiple projects at one time. It's taking some getting used to as I have always been a one project at a time kind of sewer. However I expect that it will all come together all at once. I currently working on an easy top and dress, so I expect that these will be finished in the next couple of weeks.